Re: Can Etch be installed on an SS20?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Andrew" <cjhandrew@gmail.com>
To: "debian-sparc" <debian-sparc@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 1:35 PM
Subject: Can Etch be installed on an SS20?

I know the Lenny will not support 32-bit Sparc Stations.  Has anyone
successfully booted Etch from a CD and done an install?

I know that the Linux kernel does not support multiple CPUs reliably on sparc32 (and the SS20 can have up to four CPUs; mine has a pair of Ross 180 MHz HyperSPARCs).

Because of the lack of SMP support, I put NetBSD on my SS20, but as far as I know, Etch out to work. I can't tell you that it works from experience, though.

(To placate the list, I do have Debian running on an UltraSparc 1/170E, but I am having some issues with 2.6 kernels recognizing the SCSI controller. It works fine with a 2.4 kernel though.)

Jim