Re: Sun Leo (ZX)

Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
Martin Habets wrote:
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 02:41:25PM +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
Martin Habets wrote:
Does the kernel detect the card when booting? You should see something
like the following when booting:
/sbus@2,0/SUNW,leo@2,0: leo at x:x
Also you should have leo ranges in /proc/iomem and /proc/ioport.
Ahhh... no, I don't see that in dmsg or anything in those proc files. I can see the driver enabled in .config and I think that I'm running the appropriate kernel but it's obvious that I need to go and check.

Looking in drivers/video/leo.c leo_init() I see
        if (fb_get_options("leofb", NULL))
which leads me to suggest booting with option 'video=leofb:on'.

Doesn't help. dmesg still says it's using mono PROM, /proc/cmdline shows that the option is actually in there, there still appears to be nothing in /proc/iomem or /proc/ioports.

Am I correct in interpreting what you've said as meaning that X's "No devices detected" actually means "I'm not seeing the appropriate device support in the kernel"?

That's one option. It could also be the wrong device was specified in the
Xconfig.

If I'm understanding you and Tom correctly I need to get to the point where the kernel loads the driver first, after that I can start looking at X again.

I think I could usefully put some printk()s in leo.c, but I need to sort out the disc before I have any chance of compiling that.

Apologies for the time I've been off this, I had to find some disk trays for my E4500.

I've been tinkering with the kernel (leo.c) and can confirm that control gets here:

        if (fb_get_options("leofb", NULL))
                return -ENODEV;

but it falls out of the driver at that point. I've added an explicit video=leofb:on in silo.conf and can see it in /proc/cmdline:

root=/dev/sda1 ro video=leofb:on

but that still has no effect. I'll start working into fb_get_options() but if anybody had any suggestions I'd obviously be very interested to hear them.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk