Re: esp_scsi in the debian installer

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 01:59:05PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> Nick Schmalenberger wrote:
> > I thought the esp scsi driver was supposed to be fixed in 2.6.23 or
> > 2.6.24, but on my Ultra/1 it isn't working with todays daily build of
> > the netboot installer. Attached are the debug logs. Has anybody had this
> > working? Thanks.
>
> I have a IDE-based Ultra10 myself, so can't test this.
>
> From the logs you sent I can see that esp_scsi is getting loaded (although
> I'm a little bit surprised at that since hw-detect still only lists esp as
> the module to be loaded, which explains the "missing modules" message).

When I was given the choice of disk modules to load I chose esp_scsi and
it didn't do anything. Going into a shell and doing lsmod showed that it
was loaded, but there wasn't anything in dmesg besides the message from
the higher level scsi module loading. Removing all of the scsi modules
and loading esp_scsi, depending on the others, loaded them as before but
with the same results:
/var/log # lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
ide_generic             1536  0 [permanent]
sunlance               17232  0
/var/log # modprobe esp_scsi
/var/log # lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
esp_scsi               26384  0
scsi_transport_spi     28416  1 esp_scsi
scsi_mod              173824  2 esp_scsi,scsi_transport_spi
ide_generic             1536  0 [permanent]
sunlance               17232  0
/var/log # dmesg | tail
end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
SCSI subsystem initialized
SCSI subsystem initialized
/var/log #
> But it does indeed seem that your disks are not getting recognized.
>
> Could you try the following: - boot the installer in expert mode -
> proceed until just before the "Detect disks" phase - start a debug
> console - modprobe esp_scsi manually
>
> Is there anything interesting in the output of dmesg after that?
The results are exactly the same as above except insmod must be used
instead of modprobe.

> If not, probably the best thing to do is to send the output of 'lsmod'
> and 'dmesg' and some info about your hardware to the upstream sparc
> kernel maintainers [1].

Done.