Console problems during installation of Lenny

Hi, I just wanted to make a 'clean' install of Lenny on an Ultra AXi. As the 'machine' is a headless one, I need to use (as often before) the serial/console approach. Therefore, I connected my Laptop via the usual null modem cable to the AXi, put the just downloaded lenny netinst CD (tesing lenny - official rc sparc netinst binary 1 20081104) in the drive and started minicom (VT102, 9600,8N1). I can boot the AXi (boot cdrom) and after a while the first menue (language selection) appears on the screen. Now the odd thing is that I see my inputs on the screen but the machine doesn't react to it. E.g. I enter 6 + 'RETURN' but nothing happens.
From here I don't get any further with the installation and I only can bail out with the break signal (ctrl-a f).

With the previous CD used to install Sarge (Debian installation CD-ROM, build on 20050305) and the very same setup, everything works fine.
Any ideas?

Rgds.,
Klaus