Netra X1 install problem/oddity

Hello,

I've been working to get Debian current installed on a Netra X1 from a
netboot over LOM.  I first encountered the problem with the tulip driver
(requiring me to shell out, unload dmfe/tulip and then load tulip).  As
is well on the network front.  The problem is after it downloads all of
the install from ftp, it comes up and states that it cannot find any
disks and asks me to load a driver.

So I shell again and I can see /dev/hda in /proc/partitions (20gb).  I
run partman from the shell and it sees no drives.  Thinking that it's
because of the former Sun partition, I dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/had bs=1M
count=1 to clear any partitions.  I then run partman and it now sees a
1MB disk drive.

Any ideas on why this might be happening and how I can work around it.
I have several of these machines that I'd like to build out in the next
couple days for a project, but they just aren't cooperating.

Gary