Re: Linux boot hangs

Alexander Vlasov wrote:
> I just downloaded netinst image from
>http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/sparc/iso-cd/
> and tried to boot my Ultra45 (2xSltraSparc IIIi, 2G RAM, 2xSATA drives).
> Booting hangs at the very early stage, right after initrd loading, with
> screen full of info, but the only phrases I can understand there is
> Cheetah error trap happens
> Error from system bus
> after this about 5-7lines of some dump follow.

This "some dump" stuff is essential information. Please send the complete
output on the display!

> and a message like "press stop-a to return to OBP". Stop-a doesn't work
> tho'.

> Stable installer doesn't work here too -- it boots fine, but keyboard
> doesn't work after kernel boot (it does in OBP and SILO, but stops working
> on kernel boot). Keyboard is Type7 USB.

It may be that the installer is completely missing support for either USB
keyboards for sparc, or type7 keyboards. In either case, I'm not sure that
using a daily build of the installer is going to change anything over the
Etch version.

OTOH, USB modules should be available and the keymaps we use on sparc are
regular AT keymaps, which work with type5 keyboards (non-USB).
What may be missing is the usbhid kernel module.

We can still fix the daily version before the release of Lenny, but will
need more info for that. We'd first need to fix the boot issue and then the
keyboard issue.

Cheers,
FJP