Re: lam4-runtime does not exist

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 15:36 -0400, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 16:35 +0100, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:
> > * Rafael Laboissiere <rafael@debian.org> [2008-03-24 15:24]:
> >
> > > Damn! It fails now on ia64 [1] at Python checking.
> >
> > Fails on powerpc as well [1] with the same error message.
> >
> > [1] http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?pkg=petsc&arch=powerpc&ver=2.3.3-9&stamp=1206372616&file=log&as=raw
>
> Oh no!  Nope, that's all I changed between -8 and -9. :-(
>
> Can anyone on the powerpc or ia64 list help to investigate this?  With
> only a tiny change to Build-Depends between -8 and -9, the petsc package
> has stopped building on these two architectures.  It uses a python build
> system, and fails when trying to determine sizeof (char).  The package
> has not been flagged with any gcc 4.3 build problems.

This toolchain failure on ia64, powerpc and sparc is holding up a large
number of packages, including OpenOffice, octave, and many other
scientific computing packages.  It was introduced between the builds of
petsc 2.3.3-8 and 2.3.3-9 i.e. between March 22 and 24, and the only
difference between the two revisions was a tiny change to an unrelated
build dependency.  (All three of these arches use OpenMPI; the change
was to the LAM MPI build dependency.)

Is there any way someone can try to build petsc and investigate why it
is failing?  The failure occurs early on during configuration.

Thanks,
-Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/