Re: Black screen on sunfire v240

Vidblain Amaro wrote:
> I}v tried all the things that you told me, the fb=true, etc, but i don't get
> nothing different, my screen is in black when °booting linux ... ° i only
> have one graphic card, can somebody help me  with this problem, i need set
> debian in the sunfire v240 black and the sunfire don't do nothing.

does your Sunfire have two CPUs?
I didn't manage to run any installer kernel on a Sunfire v880 (same kind
of CPUs, just more...) as the machine does NOT boot with a non-smp
kernel. Also the Etch kernel (2.6.18...) does not work at all, it
results in a red flag CPU exception here (the non-smp kernel), the smp
kernel just hangs the machine.

What you can do is to try the latest installer from

What I would recommend is to isntall the machine via serial console,
especially fi you want to run it as server. Saves you the fun to figure
out if the kernel likes your Sun graphics card (on mine it stopped after
displaying the penguins...). Also check where your input/output device
is routed to in case you have an RSC installed, setting input/output
device to rsc didn;t work properly with some kernels (I've tested a lot
of them which is no fun if your machine resets pretty hard and boots 15
minutes in diagnostics) - I'm just using ttya as input and output device
now.

I could give you my _VERY_ hacky netboot image I've used to install my
machine. It's a 2.6.23-rc5 and doesn't come with any proper udebs for
modules, I've just copied all modules with scp.... But if that works I
could build you a proper netboot installer using 2.6.22, including

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=179c85ea53bef807621f335767e41e23f86f01df

without this fix such nice tools like aptitude just hang the system.

Hope that helps,

Bernd

--
Bernd Zeimetz