Re: Debian on a SunFire v880 - again

Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> according to google several failures to install Debian on a SunFire v880
> were reported on the list. I've given this problem another try and
> figured out that
>
> - 2.6.18 crashed the machine pretty bad (red flag cpu exception..., I
> still need to get the log from my notebook and report it)
> - 2.6.21 got a kernel panic - #440720
>
> So I've rebuilt the Etch installer (the latest one from svn ended up
> with some conflicts in retrieving the apckages, seems there's a new
> libc6 coming in...) with 2.6.23-rc4-smp, which booted well, but
> unfortunately the installer makes a mess out of the serial console:
> http://www.picpaste.de/pics/SUN-wtf.1189168846.png

okay, Ifound the reason for this problem: interestingly
input/output-device was set to rsc, but the console was never on the
rsc, but on ttya instead. Weird.

Now the problem hidden behind the messy console appears:

console [ttyS0] enabled
f00d0fb4: ttyS1 at MMIO 0x7fc7e400040 (irq = 21) is a SAB82532 V3.2
f00d0fb4: ttyS1 at MMIO 0x7fc7e400040 (irq = 21) is a SAB82532 V3.2
RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 16384K size 1024 blocksize
RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 16384K size 1024 blocksize
loop: module loaded
Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2

ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx

ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
drivers/hid/usbhid/hid-core.c: v2.6:USB HID core driver

TCP bic registered/hid-core.c: v2.6:USB HID core driver

NET: Registered protocol family 1

NET: Registered protocol family 17

VFS: Mounted root (cramfs filesystem) readonly.
Warning: unable to open an initial console.nly.

Warning: unable to open an initial console.
Press Stop-A (L1-A) to return to the boot prominit!

Press Stop-A (L1-A) to return to the boot prom

Any ideas are welcome :)

--
Bernd Zeimetz
<bernd@bzed.de>                         <http://bzed.de/>