Re: linking SPARC applications

On Sat, Jul 21, 2007 at 03:01:01PM +0100, Martin wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-07-21 at 22:38 +1000, Jim Watson wrote:
> > Previously they always linked to /lib/blah.
> > Now something has changed so they now link to /lib/v9/blah
> > But I didn't change my build system so I guess it is something changed
> > in debian.
> > Thats the bit I don't understand - what has changed?
> If the problem definately is with what ld maps the libraries to then it
> is likely to be a problem / change in ld.  I would guess that someone
> added a hack to the binary or the config file so that on sun4u it
> attempts to load /lib/v9/ before /lib/.

You still should be able to build sparc32 binaries on sparc64 by
performing the build in an environment with sparc32 personality.
Basically, you need to prepend whatever build command you are using
with 'sparc32' (this binary comes from sparc-utils package). That's
how Debian buildds operate.

On a related note, Debian has currently announced that sparc32 is not
going to be supported in lenny. As a side effect, the gcc default
flags are going to be changed to generate code optimized for
ultrasparc processors. I don't know whether sparc32 trick will
continue to work after that, you might need to set your compiler flags
explicitly to avoid generating code which will not run on sparc32.

Best regards,
--
Jurij Smakov                                           jurij@wooyd.org
Key: http://www.wooyd.org/pgpkey/                      KeyID: C99E03CC