Re: [SECURITY] [DSA 1294-1] New xfree86 packages fix several vulnerabilities

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 11:07:52AM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> > Anyway, as far as getting something done, I would suggest opening an RT
> > ticket and documenting in that ticket:
> [...]

> I did that now, thanks.

> I combined two sets of information in it - the specific details about this
> sparc machine that I sent to the mailing list, and general information about
> the location which I had already provided to DSA in an offer to host that
> other machine that they put out a few years ago.

Looks good to me, thanks!

> > If DSA has to go fishing for these details, chances are good that they
> > /won't/ do so, because there are always fires going on that will take
> > priority.

> I appreciate you being courteous to spell this out, but it's a problem in
> itself if one has to make these justifications... If as you say that our
> only sparc buildd is MIA for two weeks and not fixed yet, what greater fire
> is there, taking priority thoughout this time? Problems worse than two-week
> downtimes should probably make us all pretty scared...

Uh, auric is not the only sparc buildd, it's just the only one configured
for building oldstable-security (apparently).  spontini is still up and
building just fine for other suites, so if and when DSA decides they need to
go for plan B wrt auric's downtime, getting oldstable-security set up on
spontini would still be a quicker fix than provisioning a whole new buildd
from scratch.

As for problems worse than a two-week downtime, well, there's the 1.5-month
downtime of goedel (alpha buildd redundancy), the one-month downtime of four
of the arm buildds because of what may be an incompatibility between their
kernel and sid's glibc, the three-day downtime of the only running i386
buildd... though when I mentioned fires, I was including auric itself in
that reckoning. ;)

Cheers,