Re: Sunblade 100 IDPROM not valid

Hi,

Mark Morgan Lloyd <markMLl.debian-sparc@telemetry.co.uk> writes:

> I've not heard of one of these devices failing after only five years, 10+ is
> more common.

Agreed.  At this moment, most sun4c machines have failed (e.g., SS2,
IPX, etc.) and sun4m machines (e.g., SS4, SS5, SS20) are only starting
to fail (FWIW, I have 4 sun4m machines, none of which has failed to
date).

> If you don't replace the chip then you will find that you are no longer able to
> store parameters such as which device the system boots off reliably. For that
> matter it won't store local-mac-address?=true reliably either, so not replacing
> the device will simply bite you at some later date.

IIRC, the machine should only forget the settings when it's unplugged.
So the machine may still be quite usable provided you don't unplug it
too often.

Thanks,
Ludovic.