Re: Etch on sunblade 150 : installer menus problem

My experience :

use this option to prevent the box to switch video card :

boot net video=atyfb:off

But display problems make it difficult to continue installation.

I tried with another option :

boot net video=atyfb:off DEBIAN_FRONTEND=text

but the installation hangs on hardware detection

So I tried the solution to press enter at each step, same result, the installation hangs on hardware detection.

When installation hangs, it's not possible to switch console.

But I think this installer has worked better. I used this tutorial to start the install :

http://nishants.net/articles/sunblade150.htm

And I used this image :

http://nishants.net/public/boot.img

When I used this image, the display wasn't so bad, not perfect, but colors were displayed and user selection was highlighted.

But I encountered another problem, modules couldn't be loaded. I think modules versions on debian repositories were different from the ones requested by the kernel in the image I used, because the image was an old one.

I could continue installation, but disk wasn't detected, probably because no modules were not available.

Here is another experience on another sunblade :

http://doownek.org/en/

I spent too much time on this installation and I'm not sure I can succeed to install debian on this computer. If someone recently managed to install etch on this computer, I'm interested, for the moment I abandon.

Thanks for replies,
Mickaël

Didrik Madheden a écrit :
I also had problems getting the kernel to load correctly over network.
My solution to this was to connect the sparc over a serial console to
some other box. Provided that the terminal on the other side is
working correctly, the installation menus will work ok, although
they'll be a bit sluggish at 9600 bps. To force the OPB into serial
console mode, you need to boot without a keyboard connected.

You may also need to give the command output-device without parameters
in OPB before trying to do that, since otherwise OPB may ignore the
fact that there's no keyboard, and still go into video mode.

Tell us your results!

/Didrik Madheden