sparc build error or dpkg-shlibs error

I noticed that my chron package failed on Sparc with

dh_shlibdeps -pr-cran-chron
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libR.so'
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libR.so'
dpkg-shlibdeps: failure: No dependency information found for libR.so (used by debian/r-cran-chron/usr/lib/R/site-library/chron/libs/chron.so).
dh_shlibdeps: command returned error code 512
make: *** [binary-predeb-IMPL/r-cran-chron] Error 1
dpkg-buildpackage: failure: /usr/bin/fakeroot debian/rules binary-arch gave error exit status 2
Build finished at 20071122-2001
FAILED [dpkg-buildpackage died]
Purging chroot-unstable/build/buildd/chron-2.3-15

I just checked this on i386 with a fresh pbuolder and this does not happen
here -- is this a Sparc issue or a dpkg-dev issue ?

Dirk