Re: SunRays

On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 16:32 -0500, Alejandro Paredes wrote:
> Hello everybody.
>
> I've been trying to find out if it is possible to use Debian in a Sparc as
> the manager of several SunRays, but no luck so far.
> Has anyone done it? If so could you give me some pointers on how to do it.

The earlier Sun thin clients basically used remote X and so could eaily
be presuaded to run without Solaris.  The SunRays are a bit different.
As I understand it, they are closer to screen scraping approaches such
as VNC.  Thus they talk a custom protocol that includes graphics, key
strokes, etc.  Although the server app for this can be run on Linux
(apparently) I am not aware of the protocol being documented nor there
being any non commercial implementations.  At one point the licences for
the server app were expensive, I have no idea if this is still the case,
they may be free (as in beer) for non commercial use.

HTH

Cheers,
 - Martin