Re: Re: Re: Sparc32 systems and power consumption

Hi,

With the note that this is getting quite far from debian-sparc's purpose in
life :-)  maybe after this note the conversation should move to the netbsd
sparc or openbsd sparc lists.

FreeBSD doesn't run on 32 bit sparcs, only 64 bit ones.

Both OpenBSD and NetBSD run on sun4m systems just fine, even including
the SS5/170.  This system, btw, is quite fast for its power consumption.

NetBSD does SMP, OpenBSD does not.   They both work fine on SuperSparcs,
SuperSparc IIs, and Hypersparcs.

With NetBSD it seems that pretty much any mix of CPUs that can get up to the
ok prompt will boot and run.  Maybe not well, but will work.

NetBSD can cross build, so, if you have a faster system you can build NetBSD for sparcs on it quickly and then just run on the sparc.  OpenBSD thinks crossbuilding
is evil and will not do it.

OpenBSD comes as a more complete system than NetBSD.  NetBSD is really bare
bones as to what's out of the box.  OTOH, NetBSD installs very fast.

The OpenBSD folks are very very concerned about security.  Out of the box
it's likely to be the most secure.

cheers

bruce