Re: X server fails to start after netinstall of Etch on Ultra 60

On May 26, 4:10 pm, Florian Zagler <FlorianZag...@web.de> wrote:
> On Samstag, 26. Mai 2007 04:12, Steve Jones wrote:
>
> > I did a fresh netinstall of Etch on my Ultra 60 with Elite3D graphics
> > and 21" Sun CRT monitor.  All worked well when I did this on a PC
> > using the same Sun monitor.  However, on the Ultra 60 the X server
> > fails to start.
>
> > The installation program seems to have detected the graphics card
> > correctly.  Below is an excerpt from my /etc/X11/xorg.conf.  The
> > "Monitor" section is identical on the PC, except on the PC the
> > HorizSync and VertRefresh lines are absent.
>
> > Can anyone advise me on how to get the X server working?
>
> You have to install the package afbinit and you need the firmware for the
> Elite3D. This file is called "afb.ucode". You find it on the Solaris DVD or
> maybe on the net.
>
> The startscript supplied with afbinit may work or not. In my case I had to add
> the following line to /etc/rc.local to get the card working.
>
> /usr/sbin/afbinit /dev/fb0 /usr/lib/afb.ucode
>
> --

I managed to find afb.ucode on the Sunsolve website (in the
106144-28.zip patch file, dated 21Feb2003), and I placed it in /usr/
lib.  Now, when the afbinit command runs I get the following error
message:
mmap user regs: Invalid argument

The X server still fails to start.

Also, in my /var/log/Xorg.0.log I have the following:

(II) /dev/fb0: AFB: Detected Elite3D/M6.
(II) /dev/fb0: BT498 (PAC2) ramdac detected
(II) /dev/fb0: Detected Elite3D M3/M6, checking firmware...
(II) /dev/fb0: ... AFB firmware not loaded
(WW) /dev/fb0: Forcing no acceleration on Elite3D M3/M6
(==) SUNFFB(0): Backing store disabled
(==) SUNFFB(0): Silken mouse enabled
(**) Option "dpms"
(**) SUNFFB(0): DPMS enabled
(**) SUNFFB(0): DPMS enabled
(WW) SUNFFB(0): Option "UseFBDev" is not used

What concerns me most from the above is the "AFB firmware not loaded"
message, although I don't know what to do about it.