Re: md (software) RAID missing in the installer for sparc

On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 03:24:03PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> > It _is_ supported, but the option "Use as RAID" will not be shown if the
> > current partition starts on sector 0 of the disk because that would
> > overwrite the Sun disklabel info.
> >
> > So, to set up RAID on sparc, first create a small (/boot) partition and
> > then create a second partition to set up as RAID.
>
> But... that's not actually supposed to be necessary.
> | The first partition has to be ext3 or fd, not swap

Now I also found that silo-installer postinst knows this, too:

# force -t on raid
if echo "$bootfs" | grep -q "/dev/md"; then
        raidinstall=y
else
        raidinstall=n
fi

If software RAID wasn't supposed to be used on the SILO boot device at all,
then this code wouldn't be here.

Upon finding that if $raidinstall is set, it runs silo with the -t option),
I did that myself and it worked fine.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.