Re: Please test the new kernel (2.6.18.dfsg.1-9)

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 23:16:04 PST, Jurij Smakov writes:
>> I installed this on an up-to-date Etch U1 (sun4u), and it boots until it'd
>>  like to mount the root-filesystem. Which fails, and if I'm not
>>  mistaken, because it hasn't loaded any SCSI-drivers (esp in the case
>>  of my U1). So I threw in yaird, which actually loaded scsi_mod, but
>>  still no esp, so I had to explicitly set "MODULE esp" in yairds config
>>  so that it would actually load esp and could go on booting.

>Thanks for the report. This problem has been reported for yaird as bug

Erm, I didn't have yaird installed at first, mkinitramfs-kpkg didn't
 even include SCSI at all. Which's why I then tried yaird.

>#341522 for over a year now without any reaction from maintainer, so
>the chances that it's going to be solved in time for etch are pretty
>slim. If you have a chance, please try initramfs-tools, which is an
>alternative (and currently, the default) initrd generator. Simply
>installing initramfs-tools, removing yaird and then running
>'dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-2.6.18-4-sparc64' should regenerate the
>initrd using it.

I prefer to toggle via kernel-img.conf, no need to remove yaird for
 that ;)

root@pham:/tmp/a# dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-2.6.18-4-sparc64
Running depmod.
Finding valid ramdisk creators.
Using mkinitramfs-kpkg to build the ramdisk.
Other valid candidates: mkinitramfs-kpkg mkinitrd.yaird
<...>

root@pham:/tmp/a# gunzip </boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-4-sparc64 | cpio -i
25147 blocks
root@pham:/tmp/a# find . -name esp\*
root@pham:/tmp/a#

No esp.ko :(

cheers,
&rw
--
-- "Any sufficiently advanced political correctness
-- is indistinguishable from irony."  - Erik Naggum