Re: Please test the new kernel (2.6.18.dfsg.1-9)

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 10:28:12PM -0800, Jurij Smakov wrote:
> A set of new kernel images has been uploaded to unstable a couple of
> days ago, including
>
> linux-image-2.6.18-4-sparc32_2.6.18.dfsg.1-9_sparc.deb
> linux-image-2.6.18-4-sparc64-smp_2.6.18.dfsg.1-9_sparc.deb
> linux-image-2.6.18-4-sparc64_2.6.18.dfsg.1-9_sparc.deb
>
> This kernel is likely to become the final kernel version for etch, so
> it is important to give it as much testing as possible at that point.
> If you have a chance, take it for a spin on all machines you have
> access to, and report the problems, if any.

Hm, on related note, today I tried to upgrade my Fire 280R from its
old 2.4.30. I installed the latest one in etch, I think it was
apt-get install linux-image-2.6.18-3-sparc64, and that installed
version 2.6.18.dfsg.1-7, I believe.

I didn't try any earlier 2.6.x, so this is not necessarily a regression from
the last Debian's kernel, just a general problem.

On my Fire 280R, it has two problems:
* I had to set video=atyfb:off, otherwise I don't see anything after
  'Booting Linux' - the same thing that Jim Watson, Riccardo Tortorici
  and Thomas Köllmann reported earlier in various threads
* the Qlogic FC controller booted, reported that it can't load firmware,
  and then just continued to sit there waiting. :(

The first issue has a clear workaround (even if horrible, because the
default display mode is very, very slow to render text), but I can't
quite figure out the second one (and it's tedious to debug).
I actually downloaded a file from the URL provided in the kernel help,
and put it into /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware, but it seems sort of obvious
that that won't quite work if you can't even get to / without the firmware.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.