Re: SunBlade 150 problems - can anyone confirm?

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 11:01:07 -0800
Jurij Smakov <jurij@wooyd.org> wrote:

> I don't remember anyone reporting problems with xorg on these
> machines, it would be very valuable information if you could try it
> and report back.

Ok, thanks; I did, and xorg is working fine. You have to set

	Option          "ReferenceClock"        "29.500MHz"

in the "Device" section of your xorg.conf though (this seems known information).

Also, apart from "video=atyfb:off" I gave the kernel a "ide=nodma" parameter because it complained about DMA timeouts soon after booting. (This, too, seems a known issue. Line added to my silo.conf: append="video=atyfb:off ide=nodma")

Afterwards I installed hdparm and found that UDMA3 is the fastest mode in that the kernel does not complain (so far, at least). I made this permanent by setting
	hdparm_opts="-d1 -X udma3"
in /etc/default/hdparm.

Maybe this is useful to the next guy installing Etch (or some other post-2.6.16 kernel) on a Blade 150 (or 100).

Thanks to everyone,
 - Thomas

--
/* PGP key auf Wunsch per e-mail || PGP key sent on request */