Transferring system from old hd to new raid1

Hi List,

I have an Ultra5 dmz server. It was running an ata hd which I've removed (before it finally dies) and replaced with 2 brand new drives I've set up as a raid1 array.

The old hd is 2.4.18 Debian Etch. The new raid1 is 2.6.17-10 Debian Etch. (Both are identical from the viewpoint of apt-get update, upgrade, dist-upgrade)

The partitioning on the old hd:
hda1 /boot
hda2 /
hda3 whole drive
hda4 /var
hda5 /tmp
hda6 /home
hda7 swap
hda8 /usr

The partitioning of the 2 new drives (in situ):
hda1 /boot
hda2 raid
hda3 whole drive
hda4 swap

hdb1 /boot2 (A spare boot partition. I read somwhere that it was a good idea)
hdb2 raid
hdb3 whole drive
hdb4 swap

md0 /

Q. How do I transfer the daemons/servers from the old drive to the new raid1 array. (I've read numerous howtos and tried a number of times by setting the old drive up as hdc but all have failed and I'm getting nervous about how long the old drive will last.

TIA

John