Re: Installation Problem on a Sunblade 100

Hi Jim,

I downloaded debian-31r3-sparc-netinst.iso and booted from OB with "boot cdrom ide=nodma". The cdrom seams to work. I tried gentoo only to see if the installation routines have a problem. But both distributions criticize the ramdisk as I understand the messages.

- Marco

On 03/11/2006, at 7:42 AM, Marco Abderhalden wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I tried to install Debian and Gentoo on a Sunblade 100. But I
> didn't have success.
>
> Debian error:
>  cramfs: wrong magic
>  Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:00
>
> Gentoo error:
>  Loaded Kernel Version 2.6.17
> 0x40C0000 virt)...
>  Illegal Instruction
>
> Do I have some problem with the ramdisk. The SB100 has 512MB of ram.
>
> Thanks in advance for useful hints.
>
> Regards,
>  Marco

Marco,
To get help I think you should  give exact details where you got the
boot disks, what versions etc.

My cdrom died years ago but a method that always works for me is net
boot using tftp
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/sparc/ch04s04.html.en

jim