Re: Updating OBP without Solaris

On 10/23/06, Mark Morgan Lloyd <markMLl.debian-sparc@telemetry.co.uk> wrote:
I've been "playing" over the last couple of days with booting Sun's Standalone
Flash PROM Update Utility over the network using rarp and tftp, to good effect.

As a general question, does anybody know whether the OS can check the state of
the write protect/enable jumper (and/or front panel keyswitch as appropriate)
for security purposes?

I'm not sure about the jumper, but there are experimental
(out-of-kernel) drivers for SUNW,envctrl (E450) and SUNW,envctrltwo
(E250) that are able to read the keyswitch position.  Other platforms
could likely be supported as well.  Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks,

Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk