Re: debian sparc net install problems to SunBlade 100

On Thursday 28 September 2006 16:00, Shawn wrote:
> I have an old Sunblade 100 that I want to install Debian onto.
> It has OpenBoot 4.5 and SILO 1.4.9.
> I can stop OpenBoot, type 'halt' and get to the 'ok' prompt.
> At that I type 'boot cdrom'
> It reboots and I get the 'boot:' prompt.  There, I type 'linux debian'
> and the install starts.

'linux debian': the 'debian' is meaningless, but probably harmless.

> At Choose language, I choose English.
> At the Country or region, I select United States.
> At the Keyboard Layout I select American English.

What type of keyboard do you have connected to it?
Which version of debian are you trying to install (Sarge or Etch)?
If Sarge, what kernel version are you booting?

Try installing in expert mode (boot with 'expert'). You'll get some
keyboard type options. Try different types; if none work, select "keep
kernel keymap" or "don't configure" or similar.

> Then, I get an error saying it cannot detect the CD-ROM and the
> keyboard does not work properly.  The arrow keys do not work, <enter>
> does not work.  It is as if the wrong keybaord map is being used.

When you've got the keyboard working, switch to VT2 and check what modules
are loaded and the syslog and the output of 'dmesg' for the CD problem.

Cheers,
FJP