Re: Is it possible to update OBP while running Debian?

Hi John

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 08:54:01PM +1000, John wrote:
> I've got an Ultra5 IIi 360mhz running OBP 3.19. (and Etch)
>
> I'm trying to connect it to an A5000 mda using a Qlogic qla2200f/66. I've
> managed to get the Ultra/Etch to see all 14 drives but now I need it to boot
> to them.

Ultra 5 and Ultra 10 are IDE machines. I don't know if they can boot from SCSI
or FC directly, so I don't know if upgrading the firmware will fix that. In case
you want to try upgrading, you could try to go to http://www.sun.com and enter
'prom ultra 5' (without the quotes) in the search box. One of the hits should
be a link to patch 106121-18
(http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-21-106121-18-1), which is
the latest firmware (OBP 3.31.0, POST 3.1.0, OBDIAG P2.9). You can download the
firmware there (need to register, but registration is for free iirc).

I just upgraded OBP on my Ultra 5 last week (needed to update OBP to recognize
a 360 MHz cpu instead of the original 270 MHz cpu). A friend of mine had set up
a rarp and tftp server, and I could just 'boot net' the firmware image to flash
it. I'm sorry I can't help you with setting up rarp/tftp servers.

In case booting directly from SCSI or FC doesn't work, you can always put a
bootable image on a tftp server on your network and let your U5 boot from
network. The net boot image can be very small, just small enough to initialize
the Qlogic card and mount the disks as root device. If you don't want to boot
from network, you can also put in a small IDE disk and let it boot the linux
kernel from the IDE disk and then mount the disks on the Qlogic card as root
device.

HTH

Admar