Re: AW: One more

On Monday 25 September 2006 15:18, Jurzitza, Dieter wrote:
> Dear Hendrik,
> dear listmembers,
> Hendrik's pointer was right. The original /etc/profile had had a path
> setting in it that did not fit those needs - I have seen this on three
> disks on two machines now; I cannot remember having changed the default
> PATH intentionally, has there been any change on this recently?
>
> The fourth line stated:
> PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games"
>
> after introducing both /sbin and /usr/sbin things were working
> appropriately. Thanks Hendrik again,
> take care

Dieter, that path is correct for a default setting for users. Users are not
meant to have access to indiscriminately run /sbin/* binaries. /Sbin
is "system binaries" AFAIK.
root needs either a different profile in /root/* or some logic to check for
root and add */sbin/* to PATH. I don't have access to a debian (sparc or
other) install to check this right now, can another list member confirm the
default install either has an /etc/profile with logic to detect root and add
*/sbin/* or a root profile in /root/* ?

hamish