Re: Installing new kernel 2.6.17 on Ultra5

Thanks Frans that did the trick for booting into my 2.6.17-2 kernel (I must have typed something incorrectly into silo.conf) but I now have a totally stuffed sun keyboard! :-( By trial and error I managed to find the keys to type "root" and the pw. Interestingly I can ssh as root into the sun box and my pc keyboard has no problems.

As a further sweet and sour result, my Qlogic FC card was found by the kernel but it wants some firmware.

On 9/20/06, Frans Pop < elendil@planet.nl> wrote:
On Tuesday 19 September 2006 06:17, John wrote:
> I think I'm so close I can smell it but I still need a helping hand,
> please.

Here's the first bit of my working silo.conf:
$ cat /boot/silo.conf
partition=1
message=/boot/message.txt
root=/dev/hda1
default=linux
read-only
timeout=100

image=/boot/vmlinuz- 2.6.17-2-sparc64
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.17-2-sparc64
        label=linux

I don't have a separate /boot partition obviously.

Cheers,
FJP