Ultra II: kernel upgrade - silo doesn't boot

Hello all. I'm new to the list so please bear with me. I just finished
installing a new 2.4.x kernel using dselect to update to the new kernel. Now
silo no longer boots Debian GNU/Linux. I get the message:

"The file loaded does not appear to be executable"

Is this because I failed to run silo before rebooting? (I assumed dselect
would take care of it).

My system is an Ultra 2 Enterprise with a couple of 9.1 GB SCA SCSI drives.
I have /usr, /, /var on /dev/sda and /home and swap on /dev/sdb.

Can I boot the debian-sparc CD and correct this problem? Would I just mount
/dev/sda1 and run silo, or do I have to 'chroot' into the environment (never
really clear on chroot).

Thanks,

Charles McColm, charlesm@theworkingcentre.org
Computer Recycling Project