Re: Booting "Etch" on older hardware

Jurij Smakov wrote:

> > For information I've just tried booting the Etch kernel on an 9-CPU
> > SPARCserver 1000E (sun4d) and got

I did of course mean an 8-CPU machine :-)

> > Booting Linux...
> > No cpu nodes, cannot continue
> > Program terminated
> > <#0> ok
> >
> > I stress that I'm not complaining since my understanding is that other
> > hardware common on machines of this age hasn't worked with anything later
> > than kernel 2.2 (i.e. Woody).
>
> We are still planning to officially support sun4m machines (at least in
> uniprocessor config) for etch. I don't know the sun4d status, as we did
> not have any user reports so far with them (until now :-). sun4d upstream
> kernel stuff has been largely unmaintained for a long time, but during the
> last couple of months there has been some sun4d activity on the sparclinux
> ML [0], and some fixes for it have been included upstream. You can look
> for threads started by Raymond Burns, in case you are interested.
> Therefore, your best bet is always to use the latest installer dailies,
> which can be found at [1]. They currently feature 2.6.17 kernel.

Well, I've raised it a number of times in the past and been told that late
versions of 2.4 and 2.6 might be OK. I'll follow up your links (thanks for
those) and report back if anything interesting comes to light but otherwise it
can remain my specimen Woody and Solaris v8 system.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk