GDM black screen issue.

Hi All,
 Sorry but I am new to this, this is the issue I
encounter, first I manage to install Debian
succesfully on an Sun Ultra 5 and I wanted to get the
GUI running and installed GDM.
 After using apt-get to install gdm, and restart, with
kernel loading and all, when it comes to GDM, the
screen turns black and nothing. I have to power off.
 Each time I power on, the system would automatically
run GDM.
 Is there a way to stop loading GDM and use the
command line to log in instead?
Please advice.

Thank you.
Vincent.