Re: unable to install debian on ultra5

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006, marcos atehortua wrote:

hi everyone,
im trying to install DEBIAN 3.1_r2 on a SUN Ultra 5

but im having problems with the first part of the installation

first i downloaded de NET-INST but it didnt Boot and when it booted (on
other SUNBLADE 150) im getting a KERNEL PANIC: unable to mount VFS on.....

I have just tried to boot the 3.1r2 netinst CD on my Ultra 5 and it worked without problems. The iso image I used to produce it had an MD5 sum of

47a9cfb5800194dfc18d36e3120eb768  debian-31r2-sparc-netinst.iso

I burned it on Debian PC (unstable) with the command:

sudo cdrecord -data -v dev=/dev/hdc speed=4 debian-31r2-sparc-netinst.iso

Can you be more specific and tell what you mean by "does not boot"? Are you getting any error messages at all?

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org