Re: password issue on sparcstation 10

Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
Karl Goetz wrote:
Marc Zyngier wrote:
"Karl" == Karl Goetz <kamping_kaiser@internode.on.net> writes:
Karl> Unfortunately, the 10 also has a password protected prom. i found a
Karl> link [1]
 http://alcopop.org/unix/sparc/
to reset it, but it mentions "Immediately execute the
Karl> commands which clear the password.", and doesn't say what the magic
Karl> commands are.

That should be "setenv security-mode none".

Thankyou, I'll try it out tonight.

Let us know if it works. One thing I'd add it that that isn't a PROM, it's a
battery-backed "Timekeeper RAM" device (battery is good for around 10 years
operation, there's also a low-power shutdown mode).

I've got around this problem by copying a known-initialised RAM image using a
suitable device programmer, I don't know what would happen if one simply filled
it with 0xff.

In all cases bear in mind that you are working with static-sensitive devices. In
particular hot-plugging this sort of thing is not recommended procedure, it's
very easy to damage something.

Thanks all for the help (on list and off).
I removed the password using the method linked to and "setenv security-mode none", and i got myself some Debian boot floppies. Now to work out why the NIC wont touch my network cable :)

if i get it booting I'm sure I'll be posting again,
/me goes to lurk
kk

--
Karl Goetz