Re: xorg lockup on ultra 5

On Tuesday 18 July 2006 04:26, Robert Lemmen wrote:
> hi folks,
>
> i got an ultra 5 that i recently upgraded from stable to testing, now X
> doesn't work anmore. i followed the instructions on the XorgOnSparc page
> of the wiki, everything went fine so far. if i do a startx, the screen
> goes blank, the machine emits a continuous beep and locks up hard. no
> keypressing makes it switch to console or kill the xserver. i can't say
> for sure how hard it actually locks up as i have no other computer
> around to check over the network, but if i redirect stdout and stderr to
> a file, i find nothing on the disc after the reboot (btw: the beeping
> doesn't happen if i redirect the oputput). the graphics card is an
> "ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage Pro 215GP (rev 5c)" (lspci), xorg is at
> version 7.0.22 and the kernel (if that is of any interest) is a 2.6.7
> (self-compiled from upstream sources). the xorg.conf is attached, the
> bits that are commented out are stuff i tried, the problem also appears
> with them in.
>
> has anybody seen this before? any pointers? hints where i could lokk?
> what i could try?

I've almost never had an X lockup on an Ultra 5 or 10 in a couple of years of
use with kernels 2.4 and 2.6.  A U10 I have working 24/7 has exactly the same
PCI report as yours.  Most of my Debian on this box is Etch, with a
sprinkling of Sid.

I have had problems with earlier 2.6 kernels on other Ultras, and recently had
a problem with Etch and 2.6.16 (probably unrelated to Xorg) that was solved
by upgrading to Debian's kernel 2.6.17-1-sparc64 in Sid.

The following things in your xorg.conf are suboptimal or nonworking (when used
with recent 2.6 kernels), though I doubt if any would cause a hard lockup.

1. With a 2.6 kernel and a Sun type 5 serial keyboard the keyboard rules and
model should be xorg and pc105, not sun and type5.

2. With a 2.6 kernel the Sun serial mouse device should be /dev/psaux
not /dev/sunmouse.

3. I use a 15 bit depth rather than 16.  As far as I know the graphic chipset
supports 8, 15, 16, and 24.

4. I do use the dri module (in Xorg 6.9).

-- good luck, SP