Ultra 10 Etch boot problem

Hi, all.

I am having problems booting anything with a 2.6 kernel, on my Ultra 10.  This includes Ubuntu.  I have sucessfully booted Sarge, Gentoo, Aurora and other 2.4 based distros.

I have read that the Ultra 10 has a bugger of an IDE controller, and that passing the boot option "ide=nodma"  should get around this.

Unfortunately it doesn't, and my installs always fail at "Booting Linux....".

As I can sucessfully boot Gentoo, is there anything I can learn from the Gentoo dmesg, that might enable me to pass better options at boot time, in order to install Etch, et al?

Many thanks,

Chris.