Re: Xorg 7 on sparc64

On Wednesday 21 June 2006 05:24, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 June 2006 04:47, Steve Pacenka wrote:
> > I accepted the defaults presented by xserver-xorg's bare metal setup,
> > which for "$ARCH" = "sparc" is XkbRules = "sun" and XkbModel = "type5".
>
> As posted before on this list, this is bug #368214.
>
> >    if kernel <= 2.4
> >       case architecture
> >          sparc) Xkbrules = sun
> >          someotherarchitecture) XkbRules = otherarcpopularkeyboard
> >          *) Xkbrules = xorg
> >       esac
> >    else
> >       Xkbrules = xorg
> >    fi
>
> Would you be willing to try to code that properly in the relevant script
> and to file it as a suggested patch to that bug report?

Frans and friends,

I will code something in valid syntax that expressess the above concept, and
generate a diff against a particular .deb version's content.  The construct

  KERNELVERSION=`uname -r|cut -d. -f1-2`

provides the first two parts of the running kernel version.  Is there a better
way to do that in a package installation script?

Such a patch can go in with a bug against xserver-xorg (wishlist level?); I
don't think it will be tested by current XSF packagers.

> Another, possibly simpler but sparc-specific, solution would be:
>    if architecture is sparc
>       if kernel <= 2.4
>          default XkbRules = sun
>       else
>          default XkbRules = xorg
>       fi
>    else
>       default XkbRules = xorg
>    fi

That should be okay for Sparc.  I tried to leave a hook and hint where future
updaters could cover other arches than Sparc that still use kernels 2.4.

-- SP