Re: Xorg 7 on sparc64

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006, Ludovic Court�wrote:

Hi,

2 days, 15 hours, 43 minutes, 47 seconds ago,
Martin Marques wrote:
A couple of months ago I tried upgrading my XFree86 to Xorg On my U5 with that ATI video card. The result is that the whole workstation freezes, and I have to turn it off (reset boton doesn't work in this case). What I'm sure is that it wasn't Xorg 7.0 (6 something).

I used to use Xorg 6.9 from `unstable' on my U5 and it ran flawlessly.
This is weird since Xorg 7.0 is described as no more than 6.9 + the
GNU build framework [0].

Just to reconfirm: I've just reinstalled my Ultra5, updated it to the latest sid and installed xorg. The xorg.conf file it generates during installation is indeed broken, as it uses fbdev driver. The machine hangs solid when an attempt is made to do startx with this xorg.conf (bad!). Changing the driver to ati makes everything work nicely though. Versions of installed packages:

xorg			7.0.22
xserver-xorg-core	1.0.2-8
xserver-xorg-video-ati	6.5.8.0-1

The actual xorg.conf used and the log of the server starting up are available at

http://www.wooyd.org/debian/xorg/xorg.conf-ultra5-ati
http://www.wooyd.org/debian/xorg/xorg.log-ultra5-ati

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org