Re: Sparc architecture requalification

On 5/21/06, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
On Sat, May 20, 2006 at 05:34:08AM +0000, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
(...)
> - The kernel failures (that occurs only on SMP boxes) seems to be gone,
> at least on the build daemons. I don't know what has been done (if
> somebody know, please tell us), but the two packages that were killing
> the buildds (ie glibc and openoffice.org) are now building correctly (4
> last uploads for the glibc, last upload for openoffice.org).

What's been done is to install a kernel which is newer than any that are
actually available in sid or etch.  The fact that this seems to fix the
problem is a positive step in the right direction, but it's not sufficient
for the release qual as it leaves us with very low confidence in the
usability of the port when we can't use the Debian kernels for etch on any
of the relevant project machines.[1]

So the ideal solution is that, now that we have a known-working version,
someone determines whether 2.6.16 includes the same fixes and if not, gets
them backported to 2.6.16 for etch.

Is there a simple way to reproduce this critical bug in a ultra1
(yeah!) ? Btw, i've some suggestions to easily identify and backport
the .17-rcX fix:

- Ask David S. Miller <davem at sunset dot davemloft dot net>
- If he can't tell us the exact commit, we can isolate the problem
using git bisect[0]

In a ultra1 the bisect game wll took ages for me, so i couldn't do
that, just reproduce the bug with a older kernel and test a patched
.16.

[0] = http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/howto/isolate-bugs-with-bisect.txt

Hope that helps,
-- stratus