Re: Installation problems SPARCstation 5

Ryle Goehausen wrote:

Naturally of course, after installing I go to reboot. I thought that maybe
there was some pecularity with the install relating to the X-Windows
system or however video is being displayed, because I know my video
chip is 24-bit and it should be using the XSun24 X server, but I don't
know how to select or configure that.

Are you sure of that ? SS5 come with no on-board video ; they do
have a dedicated slot for a 24 bit card, but they're often found
with a regular (T)GX, which is a SBUS 8 bit card.

I have no idea how to boot up with that parameter, and I was thinking
of trying to reinstall and typing that in before I booted up off the
CDROM, but now when I try to boot off the CDROM it just automatically
takes me to my hard drive installation.

The magic combination of key is called 'stop-A' ; the stop
key is the top-left key of the leftmost block of keys
(just below the big lonely help key). The 'A' key is
ususally not a problem to find ;-) It will halt whatever
the system is doing and drop you into the openboot
monitor (if you've never used a Sun before, it's basically
a really, really, really advanced bios).

From that point you can type system commands, such as 'boot cdrom'
or 'boot disk' ; there's plenty of resources on the net explaining
the openboot. A good place to start is <http://www.sunhelp.org/>.
It should allow you to boot the cdrom with whatever options
you need.

The one point of interest on a SS5 is whether its CPU is
a 170 Mhz TurboSPARC (which is a crappy CPU not well supported)
or a flavor of MicroSPARC II (between 70 and 110 Mhz, and
resonably well supported). /proc/cpuinfo will tell you
that if you can get to a linux command-line. Anyway, it
won't be a fast computer...

Good luck !

--
Romain Dolbeau