RE: Etch beta 2 now working on Sunfire V240 with vanilla 2.6.16 compiled from source

The final instalment in my monologue (for now):

OK, if you follow my previous instructions on booting the Netinst CD and
chrooting into the installed Debian environment, you can then download,
compile and install the vanilla 2.6.16 kernel, and it works.

It seems that the Debian-patched 2.6.15 kernel doesn't like the V240 and
family.

As you can imagine, I'm a very happy chappy!

Rules of thumb:

1.  Install a PCI NIC that is known to work on Sparc Linux (i.e. 3Com
3C59x or similar)

2.  Install from Debian Etch beta
      http://www.nl.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

3.  Partition so that your 1st partition is ext2 for /boot, and fully
resident within the first 1 GB of the disk.  Create other partitions for
swap, / etc.

4.  Allow the installation to complete and reboot from the hard disk.
At this point the system will hang on rebooting into the new Linux
environment - 'Switching root ....'

5.  Boot the Etch CD again and type Rescue at the Silo boot prompt.

6.  Drop out of the installer to the ash shell (select Go Back then
choose the shell option from the Debian installer menu)

7.  Mount all filesystems and chroot into the new system (partitions
below are for my system, yours may vary):

	mkdir /mnt
	mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
	mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot
	mount /dev/sda4 /mnt/usr
	mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/var
	chroot /mnt /bin/bash

8.  Mount your pseudo filesystems and bring up your network interfaces:

	mount /proc
	mount /sys
	ifconfig lo up
	ifconfig eth0 netmask 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.64
	route add -net 0.0.0.0 netmask 0.0.0.0 gw 192.168.0.254

9.  You should now be able to use apt-get to get ncurses-dev which
you'll need if you want to 'make menuconfig'

10. You can now use wget to download and compile a new kernel from the
kernel sources, then copy the binary to /boot and add an entry to
/boot/silo.conf.

11. Reboot into Linux/Sparc joy!

If anyone would like assistance getting Debian working on a V240 (or
similar), email me.

Cheers
Ash

security@ffastfill.com

This email has been scanned for all viruses by the FFastFill Email
Security System.