USB storage for my Ultra10, usb-uhci and debounce problems

I'm running stable, with the stable debian 2.4 kernel.

I've got a new, no-name, five-port USB 2.0 PCI card plugged into my
U10. The card has a VIA chipset and lspci seems to know all about it.

usb-uhci gets loaded when the machine boots, and I get lots of
messages about debounce failing on the console.

If I rmmod usb-uhci, the messages stop. (IIRC, it's usb-uhci, but I
am at work right now and I might be misremembering one of the other usb
modules.)

After the messages stop, I can mount my external USB drive (actually an
old 9 GB IDE drive in a cheap aluminum case) just fine. hdparm shows
about 14.5 MB/second, and I get about 15 MB/second on the internal IDE
HD. Great, the card seems to be working at USB 2.0 speeds and it seems
to me that I've got enough of the USB "stuff" loaded, module-wise.

So, my question is, how do I stop usb-uhci from loading on boot? I
thought that I could just put an entry in the hotplug blacklist file,
but that didn't stop the module from loading. I also created a file
in blacklist.d and added a line for usb-uhci to that, but that failed
as well.

I can not upgrade to the 2.6 kernel in stable because I get bit by the
parallel/printer port bug.

The box runs apache, subversion, cups, samba and ssh. It should soon be
a mythtv backend. I want the box to be as stable as feasible, so I
would like to stay away from testing as well because I have enough
"fun" dealing with my x86 box, which runs sid.

-- darin

darin_strait@yahoo.com
Database Development and Administration

"Change is hardest for those caught by surprise.", Thomas Friedman