Problems booting after install.

All,

I have recently posted the following to debianhelp.org, without any
replies.  Can anybody help?

"Big problem. I have just installed Sarge on an SS20 and got the
following error message on boot ' File does not appear to be
executable'. I also got this with Etch. I thought that two possibilities
exist: 1) SILO problem, 2) Hardware problem.

To cut a long story short, I installed Redhat 6.2 (takes me back a
bit!), and found that it installs like a dream, albeit with the
functionality of an OS this old. Has anybody else experienced this
problem?"

http://www.debianhelp.org/module-pnForum-viewtopic-topic-10927-start-0.h
tml

Thanks,