Re: sparc64 smp halt

Quoting Blars Blarson <blarson@blars.org>:

> I switched my ultra-2 to a serial console so I could capture the oops
> when I ran into the sparc64 smp halting bug again.  The message is:
>
> RED State Exception

I had this once if I recall correctly. It isn't software curable (that
I could find). Look at google. 'They' say that it's either a memory
problem (faulty/broken memory), CPU problem (ditto) or MB problem (ditto
again!).

In my case it was a broken CPU. It broke when I installed a firmware
patch... Yes, you read correctly! See the following URL:

http://supportforum.sun.com/hardware/index.php?t=msg&th=1814

I managed to get Sun to replace the CPU free of charge even without
having a support contract... Don't think they had much choise. I'm
quite sure I had the law on my side that time, but I'm still _very_
(can't over state that enough!) greatfull that they did it...
--
KGB Honduras munitions SEAL Team 6 smuggle AK-47 NSA 767 strategic
toluene [Hello to all my fans in domestic surveillance] $400 million