Re: cd-rom not found

On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 13:23 -0600, Donny Jekels wrote:
> I recently purchased debian 3.1 for sparc platforms
>
> during boot the cdrom is found but immediately after the install
> program search for devices it no longer knows about the cd-rom and
> keeps telling me the cd-rom is not found or the cd-rom is not in the
> tray/
>
> I tried it on 2 boxes, sunfire v100 and my desktop blade 100

I just went through this just last week and finally got it to work.
Here is what I did:

I downloaded the netinstall iso and booted from it and choose the
"expert" installation.  At the point where it would search for the
cdrom, scroll down and open a shell first.

do a modprobe of the following modules:
	alim15x3
	ide-cd
	ide-disk
	tulip
Then check to see if /dev/cdrom points to a valid device.  It should
point into /dev/ide/......  This path should contain devices (down the
directory tree a ways) for both your cd and your disks.
You can even try mounting the cdrom to make sure that you can.  Then
exit the shell and continue on with the cdrom detection and
installation.

I have found that the cdrom driver in this configuration is not entirely
reliable for heavy loads. Sometimes the cdrom will just lock up and I
had to reset and reboot the machine again several times.  Each time I
would get a little further in the process until it completed.  Once the
system is installed the cd/dvd drive seems to be much more stable.

Good luck.

--
Daniel R. Bidwell       |       bidwell@andrews.edu
Andrews University      |       Information Technology Services