From: seb@frankengul.org [mailto:seb@frankengul.org]
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 7:12 PM
To: debian-sparc@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: QOS, VOIP, Debian, Ultrasparc 1

On Sat, Oct 07, 2006 at 08:57:51PM -0500, John Zbesko wrote:
> I hope someone can point me in the right direction.
>
> I have Vonage telephone service through a provided Linksys WRTP54G
> router. The router is connected to an Ultrasparc 1 debian server by
> way of a Netgear gigabit switch. The server is connected to a RCA
> cable modem to Comcast. Between the cable modem and server is 10Mb
> ethernet; between server and router is 100Mb.
>
> My family is complaining about delays in establishing phone calls. We
> call and there is a delay before the other person hears us. Once the
> conversation starts, however, everything sounds fine.

I have experienced some issue when connecting VOIP to PSTN.
This behaviour is almost always caused by important jitter on the line.

Try to do a ping a look at the average round-trip.
Then look at the value that are quite outside the mean time.
Look at how often they occurs and how big they are.
I had around 40ms round-trip with jitter up to 3300ms.

This cause echo on the line, delays and slow start - peers doesn't hear
you the first 10 secondS.

All are caused by a poor quality Internet connexion.

> Do I have a QOS issue? I'm running a 2.4 kernel with Firestarter on
> the server. Is there a specific package I should install for QOS? Any
> advice, tips, etc.?

You can try to use the tos parameter. set it with iptables.

> Is this a router issue? Should I attempt to re-program the Linksys
> router? (I've read howto's on the net.)

Maybe

> [snip]

I'm not vonage customer so I can't say.
Sometimes carriers sell you an option called fast-ping that lower the
round-trip (useful for online gaming). This one helps a lot.

My two cents.

	Seb