QOS, VOIP, Debian, Ultrasparc 1

I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I have Vonage telephone service through a provided Linksys WRTP54G
router. The router is connected to an Ultrasparc 1 debian server by way
of a Netgear gigabit switch. The server is connected to a RCA cable
modem to Comcast. Between the cable modem and server is 10Mb ethernet;
between server and router is 100Mb.

My family is complaining about delays in establishing phone calls. We
call and there is a delay before the other person hears us. Once the
conversation starts, however, everything sounds fine.

Do I have a QOS issue? I'm running a 2.4 kernel with Firestarter on the
server. Is there a specific package I should install for QOS? Any
advice, tips, etc.?

Is this a router issue? Should I attempt to re-program the Linksys
router? (I've read howto's on the net.)

Is this a Comcast service issue? I recently bought the new O'Reilly
book, "Hacking Cable Modems". I hesitate going down that road.

Is this a Vonage issue and can I be sure that that problem is not with
my "unusual" (for a typical home owner) setup, i.e. the sparc server?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.