3D acceleration with Creator3D

Under the subject Sarge->Etch upgrade on Ultra 10: 2.4->2.6 kernel issues
I wrote:

It's back to being a usable machine now. Time to see if sound and 3D acceleration can be made to work ...

Well, sound was no trouble: I had to run alsaconf, but the sound card was auto-detected. It appears to work better than it did under OSS, too.

No luck getting DRI/DRM/3D accelleration to work with the Creator3D card, though. glxgears works (but slowly) if you install the pure software version of mesa (libgl1-mesa-swx11). If you install the dri version, libgl1-mesa-dri, it crashes the X server.

Next, I installed the afbinit package and found the proprietory microcode. However, afbinit only tries to load the microcode into an Elite3D card. Forcing the issue by bypassing the init script and using the real afbinit programme to forcibly load the microcode prevented the Creator3D from working at all until I did a cold re-boot.

I googled extensively for info and found little help. There were plenty of suggestions from two years ago that it would not work. Can anyone confirm for definite that 3D acceleration is not available for the Creator3D? Or if it is available, point me at some idiot-proof docs?

Cheers

Hugh

--

============S=u=p=p=o=r=t===D=e=b=i=a=n===http://www.debian.org =========
Dr. Hugh C. Pumphrey          | Tel. 0131-650-6026,Fax:0131-662-0478