Re: xorg lockup on ultra 5

Hi,

Today, 11 hours, 12 minutes, 27 seconds ago, Robert Lemmen wrote:
> i got an ultra 5 that i recently upgraded from stable to testing, now X
> doesn't work anmore. i followed the instructions on the XorgOnSparc page
> of the wiki, everything went fine so far. if i do a startx, the screen
> goes blank, the machine emits a continuous beep and locks up hard. no
> keypressing makes it switch to console or kill the xserver. i can't say
> for sure how hard it actually locks up as i have no other computer
> around to check over the network, but if i redirect stdout and stderr to
> a file, i find nothing on the disc after the reboot (btw: the beeping
> doesn't happen if i redirect the oputput). the graphics card is an
> "ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage Pro 215GP (rev 5c)" (lspci), xorg is at
> version 7.0.22 and the kernel (if that is of any interest) is a 2.6.7
> (self-compiled from upstream sources). the xorg.conf is attached, the
> bits that are commented out are stuff i tried, the problem also appears
> with them in.

Other people (including myself) have seen this before.  The relevant
thread is available at [0] (and it spans over several months).

Unfortunately, I'm pretty much clueless as to how to debug the thing.  I
have not had any idea better than using `strace' but this didn't lead to
any useful result [1].

Thanks,
Ludovic.

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2006/05/msg00008.html