udev is messing with my ethernet card

I finally was able to boot a newish kernel on my Ultra 2 (dual 400 MHz)
after reading on this list that the scsi module must be manually added
to the yaird Default.cfg file. But now I have a new problem and scouring
the list didn't help :(

Discover detects my ethernet device and loads the sunhme driver but when
the boot sequence moves on to configure the interface it fails with
"error no such device"

When I logged in I loaded/unloaded the module but it still said
error ... no device.  If I stop udevd then unload/load the module I can
bring up the interface. Starting udev again still allows me to bring the
interface up and down.

Any ideas on what udev is doing/not doing?
--
Brent Russell Langille Carter (BEng Mechanical)
MSc Candidate, Mathematics