Re: Troubles booting 2.6.16 on sparc32

On Thu, 25 May 2006, Ludovic Court�wrote:

Hi,

As I mentioned in a previous post (a long time ago...), I am currently
unable to boot from the packaged 2.6.16 UP kernel on a bi-SuperSPARC
SS20.  Here's what happens: kernels boots fine, up to:

 Begin: Mounting root file system... ...
 Begin: Running /scripts/local-top ...
 Done.
 Begin: Waiting for root file system... ...
 /bin/sleep: 2: [several non-printable chars] : not found
 /bin/sleep: 2: [again] : not found
 /bin/sleep: 3: Syntax error: EOF in backquote substitution

 [ad infinitum...]

This looks as though the shell was trying to interpret `/bin/sleep' as a
script.

Has anyone experienced this before?  Any idea what's happening?

Hi Ludovic,

Yes, this has been reported. Something is wrong with initramfs-tools on sparc32, so use yaird to generate initrds for now. The easiest way is to install yaird, and then remove initramfs-tools (at least one initramfs generator must be installed, otherwise kernel packages' deps are not satisfied). You have to manually add the following line somewhere before the END GOALS stanza in /etc/yaird/Default.cfg:

MODULE esp

Then run dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-2.6.16-1-sparc32, this will cause the initrd to be regenerated using yaird.

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org